Old Church Tower and Graveyard
It is the oldest surviving building in the town – the tower has a date stone inscribed 1637- and is included on the Borough Coat of Arms. Among those buried in the graveyard is the town’s ghost George Hutchinson JP known as ‘Bloody Hutchinson’. He was a magistrate who brought the local United Irishmen to trial during the rebellion of 1798. One of the rebels, Alexander Gamble, was hanged at the Diamond and 85 years later his remains were discovered and re-interred here in 1883.
Dooey’s Cairn, Dunloy
Dooey’s Cairn is situated about one third of a mile south of Dunloy. The Neolithic Court Cairn dates from around 2000-4000 B.C.. It is named after the family who gave it into state care.
Derrykeighan Old Church
At Derrykeighan Old Church about 1 ½ miles from the village of Dervock, a stone was recently discovered built into the corner of the Church. The stone, which is not part of the original fabric of the building, is thought to date from the 1st century A.D. Inscribed on the stone is an Irish form of the Early Iron Age Celtic Art. The stone, carved locally, is one of the most important Early Iron Age objects found in Ireland.
Chi-Rho Stone, Kilraughts
The chi-rho stone is situated at Drumaquern, the most ancient Christian Symbol in the Borough. The stone, which dates from about the 4th century and is unique in Ireland, has the chi-rho stone on one side and a reversed rho on the other.
Craigs Dolmen, Rasharkin
Craigs Dolmen – big capstone on seven upright stones – is close to a minor road 3 miles north of Rasharkin. The Broadstone is a cairn situated northeast of the dolmen and is less accessible.
Also of interest is the wood adjacent to the Roman Catholic Church. This is the traditional spot where St Olcan was discovered as a weeping infant. He later became the first Bishop of the Celtic Church in Ireland under St Patrick.
Ballymoney Town Hall
The Town Hall was erected by public subscription in 1866. It was then renovated and enlarged in 1933 and opened in February 1934. It contains life sized portraits of Dr William Taylor and Dr James Cramsie who collected funds for its building. Also in the hallway is a bronze mural relief commemorating the playwright George Sheils and a large wooden plaque marking the gold medal winner of the Marathon at the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm, Kennedy K McArthur from Dervock. The main window entrance to the Town Hall is also noteworthy for its stained glass with Irish interlaced ribbon work, bearing the former Ballymoney Coat of Arms.
The Broad Stone
A well-preserved example of a Neolithic Court Tomb, with a chamber aligned North-South.
Like most megalithic tombs, it bears little resemblance to its original appearance. 4,000-5,000 years ago, the tomb had large, flat lintel rocks that formed an entrance, and it was roofed with corbelling (overlapping small stones). This chamber was then covered by thousands of loose stones. Over the millennia the chamber collapsed and the loose stones were removed.
In the mid 19th century, local people placed the huge capstone on the remains of the chamber, giving the false impression of a ‘dolmen’ or Portal Tomb.